I did *alot* over the weekend. Enough that I am really sore today. The most difficult was that I replaced the navigation lights. The red/green bow light wasn't too difficult. But the white aft light was a nightmare.
Removing the old light, drilling some holes, install new light. All that was no problem. But the light still didn't work. It almost worked, the LED flickered and light dimly. I tired another LED bulb, same thing, and an incandescent bulb, nothing at all. Testing for voltage, I read 13 volts with no bulb installed, and that dropped to 0V if I tested with a bulb. I know that means there is a bad connection or ground. I started at the circuit breaker. I isolated the circuit to the aft light, and started following that wire. I found one spot with chafing and the insulation had worn off. Not likely the issue, as I could clearly see the copper was in good shape, but I needed to repair it nonetheless, and keep looking. Inside a cockpit locker, way back in the corner, well out of reach, I found a splice. It appeared a factory splice, connecting the boat wiring to the weather resistant jacketed wire that runs through the pullpit.
I tried about 50 contorted positions trying to get enough of me in the locker to work on the connection. At best I could touch it, and the positive wire fell out of the butt connector. There is a blower vent near this connection out the rear of the boat. I took that off. Destroyed the vent hose tearing it out of the way. I could reach in and grab the connection better, but not work on it. However, I was able to cut enough tie wraps to gain some slack and pull the connection close enough that I could, barely, upside down with my feet in the air, climb into the locker far enough to replace the butt connectors. Viola ! Working lights!
The lights weren't all I did. I also replaced the gasket on some of my port windows, and I removed the exterior part and resealed the head port window. It was leaking badly, and once I removed the outer part the sealant was all black and moldy slime. On close inspection, all the port windows except the head have been replaced. The sealant is in much better condition on them (but still at or near end of life) and the windows themselves are slightly different. Same size and design, but an extra hinge in the upper center. A project is to rebed all of them like I did the head window.
My battery compartment is a spaghetti mess, and I made good work toward cleaning that up. There is a current shunt that also serves as a ground bus. It was neatly tucked between the two battery's, wrapped in tape. So all the ground wires leading to it also passed over the batteries. I mounted it on a bulkhead in the compartment, and ran the wires to it neatly. I only had to extend 2 wires. It made a huge difference, and cleared up the space immediately around the batteries so I can properly strap them down. There are straps, but the shackle that mounts to the floor is plastic, and broke as soon as I moved the battery.
I also cut and rerouted the engine kill knob cable. It requires much less force to kill the engine now. And I fiddled with the throttle. The return spring is too strong, so the engine will not hold speed without keeping a hand on the lever.
I also did lots of general cleanup and organizing.